CALL OKIE BEFORE YOU DIG 1-800-522-6543
Planting a tree? Installing a fence or pool? Be sure to CALL OKIE before you dig. State Law requires excavators to call 48 hours prior to excavation.
CALL OKIE service is FREE to the excavator and it is simple and easy to use.
Oklahoma One-Call System, Inc. (CALL OKIE) is a non-profit corporation, incorporated in the State of Oklahoma in 1979. CALL OKIE is a valuable tool used in preventing damages to public services. It is a communication link between the excavators and operators of underground facilities. CALL OKIE is a safety and damage prevention program designed to promote public awareness and to eliminate potential hazards posed to excavators, general public, vital underground facilities and the environment, whenever excavation is done.
Excavation damage can cause injury, loss of life and environmental harm. It also causes interruptions to vital services and can involve tremendous repair costs. So please, dig safely and follow these steps:
- CALL BEFORE YOU DIG CALL OKIE at one of the following numbers: (405) 840-5032 or 1-800-522-6543
- WAIT THE REQUIRED TIME FOR MARKING 48 hours before you dig
- RESPECT THE MARKS
- DIG WITH CARE
Every day contractors, plumbers, landscapers and homeowners are involved in some type of excavation. Since most facilities in Oklahoma are located underground, excavation activity always carries disaster potential. Prior notification of excavation and location of underground facilities are required by law, and those who choose to ignore requirements for damage prevention are breaking the law.
Most projects are completed on schedule without any site incidents; however, some excavation projects result in substantial damage to property, injury and even death.
- Calculated costs of injuries could involve medical treatments plus lost wages
- Interrupted services and cut cables cannot transmit signals to 911 emergency centers and in-home medical equipment
- Project delays and construction downtime idles crews and wages
- Environmental and property damage costs will vary depending on the property around the accident site
- Legal problems can arise from damage to property and/or injury and could include lawyer fees, punitive damages and court costs.