Heads up Eighth Graders!!!!
You and an eighth grade buddy could win a trip to Youth Power Energy Camp this summer.
Each year, Kiwash Electric joins Oklahoma Association of Electric Cooperatives and electric cooperatives from across the state in sponsoring the Youth Power Energy Camp at Camp Canyon near Hinton, OK. The camp, slated for May 28 – May 31, 2013, is designed to help students develop leadership skills while having lots of fun.
By forming their own cooperative business, students learn about leadership and business while interacting with other eighth graders from across the state. Campers also have the opportunity to learn about generating and distributing electricity by touring the electric generation facilities at Western Farmers Electric Cooperative in Anadarko and the offices of Caddo Electric Cooperative in Binger. Safety demonstrations are put on by linemen and students even get a chance to try their hand at riding bucket trucks and climbing poles.
And that's not all – campers start the summer out right by making new friends and taking part in a variety of activities including volleyball, swimming, ping pong, hiking, and a special “Surprise” outing.
This year the essay topic, “Kiwash Celebrates 75 years, 1938-2013,” must be submitted by a team of two eighth grade students currently attending school within KEC’s service territory. The essay must be at least 100 words in length. Essays will be judged on content, style and accuracy. One team will be selected from the submitted essays to represent the cooperative at Energy Camp. KEC covers all expenses related to the camp including transportation to and from Camp Canyon.
Submit the completed essay and cover sheet to:
PO Box 100
Cordell, OK 73632
The team of students must currently be classified as eighth grade students attending a school in KEC's service territory.
- The students will be required to write an essay of at least 100 words in length on the topic. “What I would miss the most without electricity and why.”
- Essays are to be written legibly or typed, double spaced on only one side of the paper.
- Attach a cover page which includes, name, parent’s name, address, phone number, school, and shirt size.
- Essays will be judged on the basis of knowledge of subject, 40%; originality, 30%; composition, 15%; grammar, spelling and punctuation, 15%.
- Deadline for essays is April 15, 2013.
- Dates for the 2013 Youth Power Energy Camp May 28-31, 2013.